Subject: bug#24529: 11.89.5; Bug: org-table/auctex error "Marker does not point anywhere"

From: "Tamulis, Andrius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 12:03:59 -0500

I get an error "Marker does not point anywhere" when using orgtbl-mode 
while using AUCTeX to edit a .tex file. The error does not happen if I 
rename the min.tex file to min.nottex, as then AUCTeX does not recognize 
the file and does not load. So this is a joint 
org-table/auctex/font-lock error, and I am submitting this bug to 
[email-masked] and to [email-masked].

I open the .tex file, get to the table I want to edit, then do M-x 
orgtbl-mode. I then tab a couple of times. Then make an edit - any edit. 
Tab again, and the error comes up.

I finally traced the error to the line

    '(font-lock-global-modes nil)

in my .emacs file. Comment this out, and the error does not happen.

I really don't like font-lock, as I don't like all those colors. I'd 
prefer to have my font-lock-global-modes set to nil, somehow.

Minimal files and backtrace below.

Thanks,

Andrius

-----------------------------------

Files:

min.emacs:

-----------------------------------
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)
(package-initialize)

(setq debug-on-error t)

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
  '(font-lock-global-modes nil))

(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-table)

;; The following lines are always needed. Choose your own keys.
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
-----------------------------------

and my min.tex:

-----------------------------------
\documentclass[%
12pt,%
%draft,%
%final,%
]{article}

\usepackage{comment}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabular}{|l|l|}
% BEGIN RECEIVE ORGTBL inclass
\hline
Score & Criteria\\
\hline
10 & Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,\\
\hline
9 & consectetur adipiscing elit.\\
\hline
8 & Praesent eu arcu nisl.\\
\hline
7 & Aliquam sagittis aliquam iaculis.\\
\hline
6 & Proin dignissim, tellus sit amet faucibus fermentum,\\
\hline
5 & tellus tortor posuere justo,\\
0 & sit amet cursus eros felis ac lorem.\\
\hline
% END RECEIVE ORGTBL inclass
\end{tabular}
\begin{comment}
#+ORGTBL: SEND inclass orgtbl-to-latex :splice t :skip 0
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
| Score | Criteria                                             |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|    10 | Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,                          |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|     9 | consectetur adipiscing elit.                         |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|    8  | Praesent eu arcu nisl.                               |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
|     7 | Aliquam sagittis aliquam iaculis.                    |
|     6 | Proin dignissim, tellus sit amet faucibus fermentum, |
|     5 | tellus tortor posuere justo,                         |
|     0 | sit amet cursus eros felis ac lorem.                 |
|-------+------------------------------------------------------|
\end{comment}

\end{document}
-----------------------------------

And the backtrace:

-----------------------------------
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Marker does not point anywhere")
   font-lock-default-fontify-region(537 #<marker at 1512 in min.tex> nil)
   font-latex-fontify-region(537 #<marker at 1512 in min.tex> nil)
   font-lock-fontify-region(537 #<marker at 1512 in min.tex>)
   org-table-align()
   org-table-next-field()
   orgtbl-tab(nil)
   call-interactively(orgtbl-tab)
   (if (org-at-table-p) (call-interactively (quote orgtbl-tab)) (let 
(orgtbl-mode) (call-interactively (or (key-binding [(tab)]) (key-binding 
"    ") (quote orgtbl-error)))))
   orgtbl-hijacker-command-102(1)
   call-interactively(orgtbl-hijacker-command-102 nil nil)
   command-execute(orgtbl-hijacker-command-102)
-----------------------------------

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Package: Org-mode version 8.3.6 (8.3.6-3-gf46b92-elpa @ 
c:/Users/atamulis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160919/)
AUCTeX Package: 11.89.5

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-date "2016-09-01"
  window-system 'w32
  LaTeX-version "2e"
  TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
           "c:/Users/atamulis/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-11.89.5/style"
           "c:/Users/atamulis/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
           "c:/Users/atamulis/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
  TeX-auto-save nil
  TeX-parse-self nil
  TeX-master t
  TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
              "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) 
%`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
              TeX-run-TeX nil
              (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
              "Run plain TeX")
             ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
              (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
             ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
              (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
             ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
              TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
              "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
             ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts) %`%S%(mode)%' %t"
              TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
             ("ConTeXt"
              "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
              TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
             ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
              TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
              "Run ConTeXt until completion")
             ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
              "Run BibTeX")
             ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
             ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
              "Run Viewer")
             ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
             ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
              "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
             ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t :help
              "Generate PostScript file")
             ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil t :help
              "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
             ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t :help
              "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
             ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
              "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
             ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
              "Run makeindex to create index file")
             ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
              "Run xindy to create index file")
             ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
              :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
             ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode)
              :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
             ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil
              t :help "Spell-check the document")
             ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
              "Delete generated intermediate files")
             ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
              "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
             ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
              "Run an arbitrary command")
             )
  )