Subject: bug#24518: 25.2.50; dired-mark-extension with prefix arg fails

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:15:01 +0200

On Sep 24 2016, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> > This loses the feature whereby the user could also specify the
>> > character to use as the marker.  Try "C-u 65 * . el RET" to see what
>> > that does.
>> That feature has never being available since `dired-x' was added to Emacs
>> in 1994: the bug came from the very first commit.  No user will miss
>> that feature because nobody ever could use it.
>
> ??? The example I gave works with the unmodified sources.  When used
> as I've shown, there's no bug, and the command does what I expect.  So
> how can we be sure no one ever used it that way and won't miss this
> optional behavior?

Does it actually make sense to have to specify the character by its
code?  That doesn't look like this was an intented feature (being
undocumented).

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."