Subject: bug#24514: 24.5; [WIP][PATCH] Lispy backtraces

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 13:06:56 +0300

> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:55:41 +0200
> From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Clément Pit--Claudel <[email-masked]>
> 
> > How about if we install this with a user option, off by default, that
> > switches to the new format when turned on?
> 
> This sounds sensible, but I'm not sure whether it's worth complicating
> the patch by adding checks for this new user option in `eval.c`,
> `debug.el` and `edebug.el`.

It's a complication, sure.  But it doesn't sound too complicated, and
given the fears of breaking someone's code, I think it's justified.

> > Then we could collect user experience for some time, and make this the
> > default if everyone likes it.
> 
> How do you plan on informing and surveying users?  Would a discussion on
> emacs-devel be the way to do this or do you have something different in
> mind?

I thought just watching the discussions and the bug tracker would be
enough.  Then, a couple of releases from now, we could ask whether
making it the default would be okay, and see how people react.