Subject: bug#24510: 25.1; Info: searching for ` does not find what looks like `

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 12:48:25 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
>
> C-h r g Dired
> C-s `list
>
> finds nothing, missing the occurrence of ‘list-directory’ that is in the
> same node.
>
> What looks exactly (AFAICT) like the backquote you typed at the prompt
> is NOT the same as the character that precedes "list-directory" in the
> buffer.  And it is not matched to that character by Isearch.  That
> character is LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK.

It would be possible to fold certain character groups into equivalence
classes for isearch in these modes (I'm thinking info-mode and
help-mode) so that ` and ‘ are treated equivalently -- that might help
users and shouldn't lead to regressions?

Perhaps Juri has some comments; added to the CCs.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no