Subject: bug#24494: 24.4; Trailing comma in emacs-module.h

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 17:35:53 -0500

Christopher Wellons wrote:

> Building Emacs itself now requires a C99 compiler, but this requirement
> needn't extend to dynamic modules. Removing a trailing comma (see patch)
> makes emacs-module.h C89/C90 compatible, allowing modules to be built
> using older C compilers. Trailing commas weren't permitted until C99.

Thanks for the report. I don't have an opinion, but some comments:

1) I think it's going to be hard for developers to remember to use
different conventions for emacs-module.h, so C99-isms are likely to
creep back in.

2) Are people really likely to be building Emacs modules with set-ups
that can't build Emacs itself?

3) It seems this feature was supported by gcc since 0.9? Ie, forever?
https://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/c99status.html

Hopefully someone who does have an opinion will quickly either fix or
wontfix this issue. :)

> diff --git a/src/emacs-module.h b/src/emacs-module.h
> --- a/src/emacs-module.h
> +++ b/src/emacs-module.h
> @@ -67,7 +67,7 @@ enum emacs_funcall_exit
>    emacs_funcall_exit_signal = 1,
>
>    /* Function has exit using `throw'.  */
> -  emacs_funcall_exit_throw = 2,
> +  emacs_funcall_exit_throw = 2
>  };
>
>  struct emacs_env_25