Subject: Re: bug#24478: 25.1; Regression in 25.1: .tramp_history files are littered in non-$HOME working directories

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:05:44 +0200

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Ævar,

>>> All I'm doing is e.g.:
>>>
>>> 1. C-x C-f //ssh:puppet-staging:/etc/puppet/environment/aearnfjord/puppet RET
>>> 2. Run some command e.g. M-x grep <hi>
>>> 3. This results in:
>>>     $ wc -l $PWD/.tramp_history
>>>     39 /etc/puppet/environments/aearnfjord/puppet/.tramp_history
>>
>> OK, so this is about running an asynchronous process on the remote
>> host. This shall help me to reproduce it locally, thanks for the recipe.
>
> If you mean the M-x grep from the .tramp_history (in that
> /etc/puppet/... directory) it starts much earlier than that, i.e.
> Tramp's own post-connection commands go to that file, and then the
> last command is my M-x grep:

Thanks. So it is related to `tramp-open-shell', which comes just prior
these commands.

I've tried it with several configurations, but I could not reproduce the
problem locally. I suppose this behaviour is related to the used shell
on the remote host. What is /bin/sh on your remote machine?

So again, could you pls start a new Emacs, set tramp-verbose to 6, and
connect to the remote host where it happens?. And I need the full debug
buffer then, because there are a lot of other information which could
tell us what's up. If you have privacy concerns showing this publicly,
pls send it to me directly.

Best regards, Michael.