Subject: bug#37299: closed (Re: bug#24472: 25.1; Emacs crashes when clicking on OSX menu bar when opening file with tramp )

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 22:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24472: 26.3; Emacs on OSX crashes when clicking menu items while using tramp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24472: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24472
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24472: 25.1; Emacs crashes when clicking on OSX menu bar when opening file with tramp
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Souvik Banerjee <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 22:39:49 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This crash appears to have been caused by a violation of autorelease
pool nesting. I've pushed a fix to the master branch:

f14869cd70e61b1908ec88a5e3d4bf21c7d538a0

Sometimes it seems to leave the menus inoperative until the mouse is
moved, but that's far better than a crash IMO, and I still don't know
what the problem is. I think there must be some bad interaction between
Emacs's select thread, and the menu's modal run loop.

If you're still seeing a crash, please reply to this email and we'll
reopen the bug report.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 26.3; Emacs on OSX crashes when clicking menu items while using tramp
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 16:28:38 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am running emacs on Mac machine, when i connect to a remote machine
over tramp start using menu items, after few clicks emacs crashes.
Attached is the crash report from the mac's Console app

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0, NS appkit-1671.20 Version 10.14.3 (Build 18D109))
 of 2019-09-02 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*scratch*’ [6 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Minibuf-0*’ [6 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*Messages*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *code-conversion-work*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *pdf-info-query--escape*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Echo Area 0*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘ *Echo Area 1*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*debug tramp/ssh [email-masked]*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*tramp/ssh [email-masked]*’ [0 259200]
[2019-09-03 16:20:53] ‘*debug tramp/nil nil*’ [0 259200]

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-rich-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/auth-source-pass-20190628.650/auth-source-pass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/auth-source-pass
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/verilog-mode-2019.6.21.103209889/verilog-mode hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/verilog-mode
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-client hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-client
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.5/soap-inspect hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/Users/kd904675/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils server files-x noutline outline
tramp-cache tramp-sh elec-pair expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom tramp-term
counsel xdg xref project swiper cl-extra help-mode ivy-rich subr-x ivy
colir color ivy-overlay helm-mode helm-files image-dired dired-x
dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
pcase helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-tramp tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete parse-time
helm-config helm-easymenu async-bytecomp helm helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib async list-register register-list linum
windmove framemove autorevert filenotify diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs midnight browse-kill-ring derived cl
shell-completion shell-command shell-pop term disp-table ehelp
highlight-symbol thingatpt backup-dir extraedit goto-last-change
highline mm-util mail-prsvr paren delsel protbuf time point-stack wgrep
grep grep-edit moccur-edit color-moccur edmacro kmacro tabbar crosshairs
col-highlight easy-mmode vline hl-line+ hl-line himark filesets
pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet dired dired-loaddefs pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint ansi-color ring
cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util advice format-spec image-mode finder-inf
info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 548912 23273)
 (symbols 48 41626 5)
 (miscs 40 73 377)
 (strings 32 120382 3401)
 (string-bytes 1 3480522)
 (vectors 16 63460)
 (vector-slots 8 1314507 18456)
 (floats 8 331 167)
 (intervals 56 6734 4528)
 (buffers 992 15))