Subject: Re: bug#24472: AutoreleasePoolPage::pop() crashes in tramp

From: Marc Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 19:08:55 -0700

> I'd suggest trying Emacs 27, or even Emacs 28 if possible. 28 already has some changes to resizing code.

Thanks Alan for the tips: I just tested
Emacs-2020-05-22_01-40-15-d714aa7…-universal.dmg and the "frantic
resize" crash seems gone from that nightly build! Or at least too
difficult to reproduce. It was still in 27.0.91-1 though.

Also thanks for letting me know Emacs is still alive on macOS/GNUstep,
I was starting to wonder :-)

The tramp+dired crash is still there in all versions (and easy to work
around). In hindsight this tramp+dired+menubar crash has been by far
the most "reliable" crash if anyone cares for a test. Crashes every
time in my environment (4-6ms round trip in case that matters). Can
you/others see it too?

In summary: no difference found between 26.3 and 27.0.91-1.

While I'm not volunteering for a full bisect, I could test the resize
crash with a few more nightly builds if that can help. If you think it
can then please send me the version numbers privately.

> ... best fixed by separating the NS GUI code into a separate thread, but it's a pretty large job, and I only have half of an implementation.

Just curious whether you have the source of that half already
published somewhere? Maybe other people (not me) could help.