Subject: Re: bug#24468: Emacs 25.1: Use of face escape-glyph on curly quotes is irritating.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 19:52:16 +0300

> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:01:01 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> In Emacs 25.1, I am using the info files built for the distribution
> using texinfo 5 (?or 6).  They contain lots of curly quotes.
> 
> On my Linux virtual terminal, these are all displayed with the
> escape-glyph, which is irritating in the extreme.  The workaround of
> customizing escape-glyph to the default face would prevent the effect of
> highlighting things like \377 and ^L, which is the proper use of
> escape-glyph.

This is not supposed to happen.  Emacs should test at startup whether
the terminal can display these characters, and if not, replace them by
ASCII equivalents.  Please try to figure out why this doesn't work for
you (it does for me, although not on a Linux terminal).

> Please, can we have this facility, at long last, controlled by a
> customisable option?

Let's first understand why the automatic detection doesn't work.  IME,
devising a solution for a problem we don't understand is not a good
idea.

Thanks.