Subject: bug#24463: closed (Re: bug#24463: 25.1; hl-line-mode makes text disappear)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 02:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24463: 25.1; hl-line-mode makes text disappear

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24463: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24463
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24463: 25.1; hl-line-mode makes text disappear
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 05:26:19 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 20:14:44 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Since the Arch Wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics) suggests that the kernel modesetting
> may be better than the intel graphics package, I uninstalled that package just to see if that would fix the issue.
> After uninstalling and rebooting the computer, I have not experienced this weird disappearing/duplicating text
> issue. 
> 
> I don't know enough about this to tell whether this is a bug in that intel graphics package or emacs. 

I'm quite sure it's not an Emacs problem.

Thanks, I'm closing the bug report.

Subject: 25.1; hl-line-mode makes text disappear
From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 19:50:22 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>From emacs -Q:
M-x global-hl-line-mode
then open a file and move around with C-n

Text at the current line disappears seemingly at random. It comes back
eventually and/or if I do C-l.

It does this regardless of major mode and I experienced the behavior in
24.5 and 25.1

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.9)
 of 2016-09-18 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:    Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  org-indent-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Global Hl-Line mode enabled

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start
cus-load hl-line org-element org-indent org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr
image-mode dired cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 162162 7289)
 (symbols 48 27365 0)
 (miscs 40 271 655)
 (strings 32 37912 6108)
 (string-bytes 1 1137387)
 (vectors 16 18378)
 (vector-slots 8 502578 5776)
 (floats 8 213 90)
 (intervals 56 1847 0)
 (buffers 976 19))