Subject: bug#24451: closed (Re: grep -Tn misbehaves under Emacs shell)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 10:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24451: grep -Tn misbehaves under Emacs shell

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24451: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24451
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: grep -Tn misbehaves under Emacs shell
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 02:52:31 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

No further comment, and I merged and installed the patches and am closing this 
bug report.

Subject: grep -Tn misbehaves under Emacs shell
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:07:45 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Tags: patch

While looking into something else I noticed that 'grep -T' does not work 
under an Emacs shell window. grep outputs tab-backspace-':'-C to align C 
to the next tab stop, but under Emacs the backspace undoes the tab and 
so the output is not aligned. Arguably this is a problem with Emacs, but 
even if Emacs were changed the grep approach is not portable: Vim 
displays "^H:" instead, for example, and this also breaks alignment. 
grep should use a tab character to go to the next tab stop; this is more 
reliable and is simpler.

While in the neighborhood I noticed that -Tn alignment does not work for 
files that are sufficiently large (10,000 lines, say). Plus, nowadays we 
can rely on PRIuMAX to simplify printf.

Proposed patches attached. Normally I'd just install this sort of thing, 
but since we have a release candidate out I thought I'd ask first.