Subject: bug#24439: ispell.el; cutom setting `ispell-library-directory'; patch

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 21:48:45 +0300

> From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 20:53:57 +0300
> 
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > OK, so adding a condition for dict-bname being an absolute file name
> > in the above snippet would solve your problem?
> 
> Well, the problem is not only mine and it would solve it only partially 
> (in case of cygwin ispell), because dictionaries would have to be added 
> to `ispell-[local-]dictionary-alist' with abspath (a little bit 
> cumbersome; especially in case of roaming .emacs) even if they are in 
> ispell LIBDIR (`ispell-library-directory').

Well, using a Cygwin ispell with a native Windows build of Emacs is
not exactly the normal use case, either.  Why don't you use a native
Windows build of ispell (or a Cygwin build of Emacs)?

> Anyway, that fix would be wellcome

Can you propose a patch and test it in your setup?  Or would you like
me to propose a patch for you to test?

> though i would prefer to have a possibility to customize directory
> where dictionaries are looked up.

ispell.el used to request a lot of such manual configury, but nowadays
it attempts to glean such information from the spellers themselves, as
far as possible.  It would have worked for you out of the box, were it
not for the fact that Emacs doesn't understand Cygwin file names (if I
understand correctly the nature of your problem).  So going back to
manual configuration would be a step in the wrong direction, IMO.