Subject: Re: bug#24439: ispell.el; cutom setting `ispell-library-directory'; patch

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:34:05 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Laimonas Vėbra <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 18:56:38 +0300
> 
> > ispell-library-directory is not supposed to be customized by users,
> > it's an internal variable set and used by ispell.el.  To change the
> > location of dictionaries, users are supposed to customize
> > ispell-local-dictionary-alist.  Why can't you do that instead?
> 
> I do understand, that it's internal variable, though it it useful (and i 
> would say crucial) for customization. How am i suppose to customize
> `ispell-local-dictionary-alist'?

It's a defcustom, so using Customize is the preferred way.  Of course,
you can also set it from Lisp.

What I meant specifically is to use the -d switch to tell ispell where
to look for the dictionaries.  The -d switch accepts absolute file
names, AFAIR, and will not try to look in ispell-library-directory for
such absolute file names.

If that doesn't help, then maybe I don't understand what problem,
exactly, are you trying to solve.  What bad things happen if you don't
change the value of ispell-library-directory from its default?

> AFAICS dictionaries, that are added 
> there, are not visible to `ispell-change-dictionary', because 
> `ispell-library-directory' points to a wrong directory

Even if the dictionaries that are arguments of the -d switch are given
as absolute file names?  If so, maybe that's the problem that needs
fixing.