Subject: Re: bug#24433: fish needs to have bc in propagated-inputs

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:57:42 -0400

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> 'fish' needs 'bc' as a propagated input. I have noticed runtime errors
> due to absence of bc. It's also mentioned here:
>
> https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell#runtime-dependencies
>
> Quoting the relevant paragraph:
>
> "fish requires a number of utilities to operate, which should be present
> on any Unix, GNU/Linux or OS X system. These include (but are not
> limited to) hostname, grep, awk, sed, which, and getopt. fish also
> requires the bc program."

A runtime dependency does *not* mean that an input should be
propagated.  Propagation is a solution of last resort.

Instead, try finding the places where 'bc' is referenced in the fish
source and replace it with the absolute path to the binary.

Thanks,

- Dave