Subject: bug#24428: closed (Re: bug#24428: 25.1; batch-byte-recompile-directory no longer works as it should)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24428: 25.1; batch-byte-recompile-directory no longer works as it should

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24428: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24428
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24428: 25.1; batch-byte-recompile-directory no longer works as it should
From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:16:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I cannot reproduce this, FWIW. It works here as expected. Can you look
> deeper, e.g. what arguments does batch-byte-recompile-directory get invoked
> with?

Hi Eli, I'm sorry I forgot to follow up on this.  It doesn't happen with Emacs
25, but only the very old Emacs that came with my Mac, which was somehow on my
path ahead of the good one yesterday.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

Subject: 25.1; batch-byte-recompile-directory no longer works as it should
From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 10:48:05 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It seems that `batch-byte-recompile-directory' now doubles the argument
somehow.  I was unable to track down the commit where this was introduced, but
this is happening in a Makefile that worked for years until recently:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
10:42:49 Vulcan:~/.emacs.d $ emacs -Q -batch -L . --eval '(batch-byte-recompile-directory 0)' lib
Checking /Users/johnw/.emacs.d/lib/lib...
Error: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /Users/johnw/.emacs.d/lib/lib
Done (Total of 0 files compiled)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Notice the 'lib/lib' there.  Using `byte-recompile-directory' interactively
from within a running Emacs works fine, however.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2