Subject: Re: bug#24425: [PATCH] Don’t cast Unicode to 8-bit when casing unibyte strings

From: Michal Nazarewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 19:41:44 +0200

>> I thought about that but then another corner case is "istanbul\xff"
>> which is a unibyte string with 8-bit bytes.

On Thu, Sep 15 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> And what is the problem in that case?

Disregard.  It’s actually fine.

>> I have no strong feelings either way so I’m happy just leaving it as
>> is as well.

> That is fine with me.
>
> Was there some real-life use case where you bumped into this?  If so,
> maybe we should discuss that use case, perhaps the solution, if we
> need one, is something other than what we talked about until now.

There’s no real-life use case I’ve stumbled upon.

I’m playing around with src/casefiddle.c adding support for various
corner cases (such as ﬁsh becoming Fish or FISH) and was surprised by
(upcase "istanbul") when testing Turkish support.

-- 
Best regards
ミハウ “𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓪86” ナザレヴイツ
«If at first you don’t succeed, give up skydiving»