Subject: 24.4; issue with big file variable

From: Andrea Rossetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 23:52:56 +0200

Hi guys,

  if a file variable is a list longer than a certain size, then it's
ignored on file loading. Test case follows:

- start "emacs -Q"
- M-: (add-file-local-variable 'v1 (make-list 2000 1)) RET
- C-x C-w example01.el RET
- close Emacs and restart "emacs -Q"
- C-x C-f example01.el RET
- bad behaviour: at this point a confirm message to load the file
  variable should have appeared ("... safe variables blah blah... do you
  want to apply it? y/n/!")  but it does not, and the variable is not
  initialized

Further observations:

  - if you replay this same test with a shorter v1, for example lowering
    "2000" to "1000", then the behaviour will be fine: the confirm
    message will appear and inspection of the variable will show correct
    value.

  - it doesn't seem to depend on the max length of a single text line:
    you get the error even when you re-run a similar test that saves two
    file-local variables v1 and v2, each being "(make-list 1000 1)".

  Does the test reproduce in the same way on your workstation? Do you
think it's a bug, or am I just hitting some well-known hard limit?

  Thanks for any hint or clarification, kindest regards.

Andrea

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
of 2014-10-21 on KAEL
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
Configured using:
`configure --prefix=/z/emacs --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
--target=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-wide-int
--with-jpeg --with-xpm --with-png --with-tiff --with-rsvg --with-xml2
--with-gnutls --with-xft --with-sound=yes --with-file-notification=yes
--without-dbus --without-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-Ofast
-fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -g0 -pipe' 'CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
-DDBUS_STATIC_BUILD' 'LDFLAGS=-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -static
-s -Wl,-s''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ITA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252