Subject: bug#24415: closed (Re: bug#24415: 24.4; issue with big file variable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 03:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24415: 24.4; issue with big file variable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24415: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24415
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24415: 24.4; issue with big file variable
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 05:21:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tag 24415 + notabug
> thanks

This was tagged notabug in 2016, but never closed.  Closing now.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.4; issue with big file variable
From: Andrea Rossetti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 23:52:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi guys,

  if a file variable is a list longer than a certain size, then it's
ignored on file loading. Test case follows:

- start "emacs -Q"
- M-: (add-file-local-variable 'v1 (make-list 2000 1)) RET
- C-x C-w example01.el RET
- close Emacs and restart "emacs -Q"
- C-x C-f example01.el RET
- bad behaviour: at this point a confirm message to load the file
  variable should have appeared ("... safe variables blah blah... do you
  want to apply it? y/n/!")  but it does not, and the variable is not
  initialized

Further observations:

  - if you replay this same test with a shorter v1, for example lowering
    "2000" to "1000", then the behaviour will be fine: the confirm
    message will appear and inspection of the variable will show correct
    value.

  - it doesn't seem to depend on the max length of a single text line:
    you get the error even when you re-run a similar test that saves two
    file-local variables v1 and v2, each being "(make-list 1000 1)".

  Does the test reproduce in the same way on your workstation? Do you
think it's a bug, or am I just hitting some well-known hard limit?

  Thanks for any hint or clarification, kindest regards.

Andrea

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
of 2014-10-21 on KAEL
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
Configured using:
`configure --prefix=/z/emacs --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
--target=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-wide-int
--with-jpeg --with-xpm --with-png --with-tiff --with-rsvg --with-xml2
--with-gnutls --with-xft --with-sound=yes --with-file-notification=yes
--without-dbus --without-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-Ofast
-fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -g0 -pipe' 'CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
-DDBUS_STATIC_BUILD' 'LDFLAGS=-static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -static
-s -Wl,-s''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ITA
  locale-coding-system: cp1252