Subject: Re: bug#24402: should-error doesn't catch all errors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 19:49:26 -0400

Alex <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>> It would be nice if we can make code inside tests behave the same as
>> outside.  But we should make it conditional on whether the code is being
>> compiled, otherwise code inside tests would behave differently when
>> being interpreted.  Anyway, we can leave this for a separate bug.
>
> I agree, but that sounds like it'll require a fair bit of refactoring
> and knowledge of ert internals.

I don't think so, just a conditional to decide whether or not to call
the extra expansion.  Do you think there is anything else?

> OOC, is there a robust way to check whether or not you're currently
> byte-compiling?

AFAIK, the usual trick is (bound-and-true-p byte-compile-current-file).
It's probably good enough for most things.

> I was going to ask if you would merge in a few days, but it appears that
> what should have been a simple rebase to master caused unforeseen
> consequences. For instance, for some reason I now get a segmentation
> fault when executing 'make cl-lib-tests TEST_LOAD_EL=no'. I even reset
> to the commit I was at before and it still segfaults. Can you reproduce
> this with the following patch on master?

Nope, I just get the failures on cl-lib-defstruct-record we already
mentioned.