Subject: bug#24395: auto-revert-remote-files freezes emacs (Windows 64-bit)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:41:20 +0200

Andreas Nilsson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> runemacs.exe -Q -l autorevert
>
> version 25.0.94.2 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
>
> Set global-auto-revert-mode and auto-revert-remote-files both to t and do:
>
> C-x d /plink:SOMEHOST:/home/blah
>
> Open lots of files with C-o until Emacs goes into escapable
> freeze. From what I tested the freeze is escapable with C-g using -Q
> but what I experienced with no -Q was that it locked up Emacs most of
> the time not escapable.

How many files have you opened (you say "lots of files")? Could it be
that you haved stressed poor little Emacs too much, out of what is a
fair use? Every remote file in auto-revert-mode needs to be polled every
5 seconds for changes.

How does it work, if you increase auto-revert-interval to a larger
number, say 20?

Could you bisect your init file in order to find the culprit which makes
Emacs unresponsible for C-g?

Best regards, Michael.