Subject: Re: bug#24394: 25.1.50; (find-file "/sudo::") ignores async-shell-command-buffer settings

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 14:45:28 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Tino,

>>> The reason why Tramp does this is the use of `shell-file-name' and
>>> `shell-command-switch'. They keep host local values, for remote
>>> connections other values are needed. It is a long standing request, that
>>> Tramp shall offer connection local variables, which carry different
>>> values for different remote hosts. If we would have such a mechanism,
>>> `shell-command' could use `process-file' and `start-file-process',
>>> and
>> it
>>> would not need to call a file name handler anymore.
>>>
>>> And this error would go away.
>> That sounds like the ultimate solution.
>
> Yes, I'd like to go this way.

I've implemented this as much this bug is concerned. The final solution
(do not use any file name handler for shell-command) is not implemented
yet, but this is not target of this bug report.

Pls check, whether the bug is fixed for you.

Best regards, Michael.