Subject: bug#2439: 23.0.60; [patch] `Mark set' clobbers useful message in ibuffer

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 17:51:22 +0100

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 17:30, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks for your patch, but please try to avoid hardcoding "1" as above.
> Just use (point-min) instead.

What is the point, when having a narrowed buffer would be an error?

In this case,

  (goto-char 1)
  (forward-line orig)

is not the same as

  (goto-line (1+ orig))

because `goto-line' uses `(save-restriction (widen) ...)'. So, if
anything, is not that the patch should use `point-min', but that it
should use

  (save-restriction
    (widen)
    (goto-char 1)
    (forward-line orig))

though I don't think narrowing the ibuffer buffer and then sorting is
a common enough operation to worry about it. Same for bs-down, where I
implemented the same fix.

    Juanma