Subject: Re: bug#24383: 25.1.50; Deprecation/internalization of `read-from-whole-string'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 13:37:51 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> What's the rationale behind the demotion of `read-from-whole-string'
> and its replacement by "internal" function
> `thing-at-point--read-from-whole-string'?
>
>   "This is an internal thingatpt function and should not be used."
>
> Should not be used?  Really?  Why?

"Should not be used" is perhaps over-stating the case, but it's an
internal thingatpt function with a name that didn't reflect that, so
renaming it is appropriate.

> Based on this (seemingly gratuitous) change, existing user code now
> has to fiddle, to be usable in more than one Emacs version (versions
> 0 to 24.5 vs version 25.1).
>
>  (if (fboundp 'read-from-whole-string)
>      (read-from-whole-string strg)
>    (thing-at-point--read-from-whole-string strg))

It's up to you whether you want to use internal Emacs functions, of
course.

Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no