Subject: 25.1; CC-Mode (C++) uses font-lock-type-face for ordinary variable

From: Bastian Beischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 13:16:41 +0200

This piece of C++ code is wrongly fontified by CC-Mode:

int b = 5;
int a = (b*3);

Reproduce as follows:

1) emacs -Q
2) Open file "test.C"
3) Paste snippet in buffer
4) Place cursor over "b" in second line
5) M-x describe-face -> font-lock-type-face

This appears to be correlated with the presence of the opening
parentheses and the '*' character, because:

1) int a = b*3;
does not have this problem

2) "b" gets fontified incorrectly after entering the '*' character:
int a = (b*

In GNU Emacs 25.1.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
 of 2016-08-30 built on beischer-w520
Repository revision: 17197d0ae9eac100b56078b2a48964b29710b76e
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-xft --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk2
 --with-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK2 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Followed link to /home/beischer/.vc/.emacs
Mark saved where search started
"Bastian Beischer"
"[email-masked]"
"gmail.com"
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-extra help-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib misearch
multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode easymenu easy-mmode time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 110659 3314)
 (symbols 48 22270 0)
 (miscs 40 57 143)
 (strings 32 21604 4932)
 (string-bytes 1 732025)
 (vectors 16 14743)
 (vector-slots 8 464634 4487)
 (floats 8 171 60)
 (intervals 56 497 7)
 (buffers 976 21))