Subject: bug#24372: closed (Re: bug#24372: 25.1.50; After losing focus, cursor is hidden when moving point)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24372: 25.1.50; After losing focus, cursor is hidden when moving point

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24372: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24372
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24372: 25.1.50; After losing focus, cursor is hidden when moving point
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:28:22 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 22:18:38 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >  How about a variant of this below? It uses a fixed limitation from
> >  below on the delay, but only for the first blink. (The value 0.2 was
> >  found by experimentation, not sure if we need to add yet another
> >  defcustom for that.)
> > 
> > I don't think we should introduce magic numbers or further customization options.
> 
> It solves the problem, doesn't it?  I don't mind very much if it were
> a defcustom, I just think no one would want to change it.
> 
> >  > I've attached another patch with the change I have in mind.
> > 
> >  This has a disadvantage of creating a new timer object each time,
> >  which I think we'd like to avoid: too much consing. (Also, don't you
> >  need to set the timer variable to nil when the timer is disabled?)
> > 
> > I don't understand - the patch doesn't create any additional timers, it only changes the initial delay of the
> > idle-timer.
> 
> Each time blink-cursor--start-timer or blink-cursor--start-idle-timer
> is called, they create a new timer, right?  And your patch makes us
> call these functions each time blinking is started or ended, right?
> 
> > My patch is identical, except is uses blink-cursor-interval as lower bound. 
> 
> Of course.  That's why I said it's a minor variant.
> 
> There's another difference, though: in my patch we only limit the
> first argument to run-with-timer/run-with-idle-timer, not the second.
> So only the first blink cycle is affected.

No further comments, so I pushed my last proposed patch to the
emacs-25 branch, and I'm marking this bug done.

Thanks.

Subject: 25.1.50; After losing focus, cursor is hidden when moving point
From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 21:16:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've tested this with a GTK build on GNU/Linux; other toolkits and OSes
might also be affected (but terminal mode doesn't seem to be affected).

emacs -Q -eval '(setq blink-cursor-delay 0.0)'

Move point around in the scratch buffer (e.g. press C-b a couple of
times): the cursor stays visible, as it should be.  Then put the mouse
focus on a different GTK window (not Emacs window), put the mouse focus
back on Emacs, and move point again: the cursor is hidden, making it
impossible to see until you stop moving.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-09-05 built on unknown
Repository revision: 6acff25280dbb97b5e9ddfd872b33ceb36b0470a
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97852 8736)
 (symbols 48 20654 0)
 (miscs 40 325 194)
 (strings 32 17964 4666)
 (string-bytes 1 589251)
 (vectors 16 13794)
 (vector-slots 8 452872 5883)
 (floats 8 183 107)
 (intervals 56 211 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 48215 1026))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind,
leiten Sie diese bitte nicht weiter, informieren Sie den Absender und löschen
Sie die E-Mail und alle Anhänge.  Vielen Dank.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the right addressee please do not
forward it, please inform the sender, and please erase this e-mail including
any attachments.  Thanks.