Subject: Re: bug#24368: 25.1; Assertion failure in attach_marker

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 22:28:11 +0200

> I thought you've explained it yourself?  It was a bug, whereby the
 > marker was set up incorrectly.  Why would we want the assertions to be
 > protected from bugs?

The bug in ‘window-state-get’ is a separate bug.  Its consequences
should be silly window start and point positions.  Emacs should continue
to be operative.

The assertion failure is triggered whenever we copy a marker whose
character position differs from its byte position into a buffer whose
character size equals its byte size.  Such behavior is more than silly.
It may lead to the loss of a user's work.  Agreed?

 >> I applied the attached patch.
 >
 > And which test case triggers the assertion in temp_set_point_both,
 > after applying that patch?

The same as in my original report.  You just have to apply the patch for
marker.c first but _not_ the patch for window.el.

martin