Subject: Re: bug#2435: 23.0.90; customize/whitespace: display stops updating

From: Jindřich Makovička <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:47:00 +0100

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 13:40, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 13:04, Jindřich Makovička <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> No, the buffer, modeline and scrollbar just stop updating.
>
> Weird. On Windows I see a delay while the font backend looks for
> suitable fonts, and then Emacs resumes normal behavior. Seems like a
> bug in the font backend (font detection has generated quite a few bug
> reports since the Unicode switch, though it works much much better
> now).
>
> You can try to generate a font log (see variable `font-log' and
> command `font-show-log') to see whether it sheds any light.
>
> Vinicius, what is character #x8a0 in `whitespace-hspace-regexp'?

Update: The bug seems to be triggered by a particular Korean font
(UnDotum), contained in a Debian package ttf-unfonts-core , and
configured in ~/.emacs by

(set-fontset-font (frame-parameter nil 'font)
      'korean-ksc5601 '("UnDotum" . "ksc5601.*"))

To be sure it's not just the Debian binary, I tried a plain CVS build
and the bug is triggered as well.

-- 
Jindrich Makovicka