Subject: 25.1; Emacs startup GTK error if init files contains an error

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:22:41 -0400

Hi,

        I am seeing a GTK error when I have an error in my .emacs
        initialization file.

        As an example, if I have only the following in my .emacs
        file:

;;(package-initialize)

(add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
             '(nil "\\`root\\'" "/ssh:%h:"))

        You will notice that I did not have:

              (require 'tramp)

        I see Emacs popup with the expected initialization error:

        Symbol's value as variable is void: tramp-default-proxies-alist

        However, I also see on the Xterm following error:

(emacs:23680): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to Emacs 0x1ad02c0
without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the
code know the size to allocate?

          Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-07-25 built on buildhw-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
nnimap read 40k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 48k from imap.aim.com [2 times]
nnimap read 64k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 76k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 80k from imap.aim.com
nnimap read 97k from imap.aim.com [2 times]
Fetching headers for nnimap+aol:INBOX...done
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/lisp/dash hides /home/liveuser/.emacs.d/elpa/dash-20160820.501/dash

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail qp gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw
url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder network-stream
nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core url-vars json
map gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap sieve
sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr mail-utils finder-inf cl-seq cl-macs cl info package
epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib warnings time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 283085 38851)
 (symbols 48 124636 0)
 (miscs 40 135 233)
 (strings 32 99612 6656)
 (string-bytes 1 3707151)
 (vectors 16 25383)
 (vector-slots 8 687970 9508)
 (floats 8 416 484)
 (intervals 56 3417 0)
 (buffers 976 40)
 (heap 1024 60102 10207))