Subject: bug#29723: closed (Re: bug#24338: bug#29723: 25.3; `compile' doesn't honor `tramp-methods', always uses "/bin/sh")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:10:03 +0000

Your bug report

#24338: 25.3; `compile' doesn't honor `tramp-methods', always uses "/bin/sh"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24338: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24338
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24338: bug#29723: 25.3; `compile' doesn't honor `tramp-methods', always uses "/bin/sh"
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: "Matz\, Daniel A. \(JSC-EG511\)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 15:09:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Finally, I've adapted connection-local variables accordingly, pushed to
> the master branch. See the discussion in (info "(emacs) Connection Variables")

No news are good news. I'm closing the bugs. Feel free to ask if there's
something not clear with the solution.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.3; `compile' doesn't honor `tramp-methods', always uses "/bin/sh"
From: "Matz, Daniel A. (JSC-EG511)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:56:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Starting with emacs -Q, execute the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(require 'tramp)
(let ((scpx-method (cdr (assoc "scpx" tramp-methods))))
  (add-to-list 'scpx-method '(tramp-remote-shell "/bin/bash"))
  (add-to-list 'tramp-methods (cons "scpx" scpx-method)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Then use the "scpx" connection type to find a file on a remote host.  Then, use `shell-command' to run "echo $_".  I get an output of "/bin/bash".  Then, run the same command with `compile'.  I get an output of "/bin/sh".  I was expecting to again get "/bin/bash".

Thank you!

Daniel

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1611))
of 2017-09-13 built on JSSLA17030925
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3/share/info/emacs
--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.3 --without-x --with-xml2
--without-dbus --without-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-ns
--disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘blade11-fsl’
Tramp: Opening connection for blade11-fsl using scpx...done
ls does not support --dired; see ‘dired-use-ls-dired’ for more details.
/bin/bash
Tramp: Opening connection for blade11-fsl using scpx...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -q   -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none -t -t blade11-fsl /bin/sh’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘blade11-fsl’
Tramp: Opening connection for blade11-fsl using scpx...done
Compilation finished

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
compile dired tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs
gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring format-spec advice time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 219866 11318)
(symbols 48 22367 0)
(miscs 40 65 321)
(strings 32 24665 6831)
(string-bytes 1 805327)
(vectors 16 37025)
(vector-slots 8 697142 5701)
(floats 8 228 204)
(intervals 56 503 0)
(buffers 976 21))