Subject: 25.1; Indentation regression for 'if' in shell-script mode

From: Phil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:02:30 +0200

Create a file /tmp/foo.sh with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash

if true; then
  xxx
fi

while true; do
  yyy
done

# Local Variables:
# sh-basic-offset: 2
# End:

Then, start Emacs with 'emacs -Q' and visit that file.  Reindent the
entire file (C-x h TAB).

Expected behavior: The statements 'xxx' and 'yyy' remain indented by 2
spaces (the basic indent offset set in the file-local variable).

Actual behavior: 'yyy' remains at 2 spaces, 'xxx' incorrectly gets 4
spaces of indentation.

This is a regression from previous Emacs versions (e.g. Emacs 24.3).

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-08-30 built on unknown
Repository revision: 17197d0ae9eac100b56078b2a48964b29710b76e
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Setting up indent for shell type bash
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Mark set [2 times]
Indenting region...done
Saving file /tmp/foo.sh...
Wrote /tmp/foo.sh

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie executable
apropos time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95145 5677)
 (symbols 48 20205 0)
 (miscs 40 345 131)
 (strings 32 17143 4898)
 (string-bytes 1 485673)
 (vectors 16 12839)
 (vector-slots 8 454828 3870)
 (floats 8 162 172)
 (intervals 56 268 0)
 (buffers 976 22)
 (heap 1024 30747 1134))