Subject: bug#24324: closed (Re: bug#24324: #24324: rescinding the report)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 12:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24324: 25.1; emacsclient -c --alternate-editor="" no longer works as described in the manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24324: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24324
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24324: #24324: rescinding the report
From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
To: Ahmad Jarara <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:50:53 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ahmad Jarara <[email-masked]> writes:

> I reported too soon: the problem wasn't emacs, fedora packages the latest
> emacs as "emacs-25.1"
>
> symlinking it to emacs in /usr/bin/emacs solved the issue referenced (that
> is, emacsclient -c --alternate-editor="" not working)

Ok, closing the bug report.

Subject: 25.1; emacsclient -c --alternate-editor="" no longer works as described in the manual
From: Ahmad Jarara <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 20:28:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

without a server running: 
$ emacsclient -c --alternate-editor=""

emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: error starting emacs daemon
emacsclient: failed to send 4060 bytes to socket: Bad file descriptor
emacsclient: error executing alternate editor ""
Error: Could not start the Emacs daemon

works just fine with the server running. worked before I updated, but I
haven't updated in a long time, so I don't remember what version I was
on when it last stopped working (sorry about this!) that said, it's a
safe bet I was on 23+

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-07-25 built on buildhw-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Fedora release 24 (Twenty Four)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Circe Channel

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-intangible-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  tracking-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  evil-visual-mark-mode: t
  evil-leader-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Source file ‘/home/ajarara/.emacs.d/elpa/swiper-20160810.451/swiper.el’ newer than byte-compiled file
Quit [2 times]
Entering debugger...
evil-record-macro: Invalid register
Back to top level
evil-line-move: End of buffer [5 times]
Quit [2 times]
Undo branch point!
Auto-saving...done
Buffer kol-smith.org modified; kill anyway? (y or n) y
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
/home/ajarara/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160812.842/helm-multi-match hides /home/ajarara/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160809.54/helm-multi-match

Features:
(tabify org-indent org-element org-table org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs term disp-table ehelp debug man swiper
cursor-sensor network-stream nsm starttls mailalias smtpmail vc-git
colir ace-window avy shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail winner
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-mode helm-files
image-dired dired-x dired-aux helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info info bookmark helm-locate
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-net xml helm-utils helm-types
helm-help helm helm-source eieio-compat helm-multi-match helm-lib
hl-line ledger-mode ledger-check ledger-schedule ledger-xact ledger-texi
ledger-test ledger-sort ledger-report ledger-reconcile ledger-post
ledger-occur ledger-init ledger-fontify ledger-state ledger-navigate
ledger-fonts ledger-exec ledger-context ledger-complete
ledger-commodities esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-arg esh-util ledger-regex
sml-mode smie try url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap monokai-theme
circe-color-nicks color circe lui-irc-colors irc make-tls-process tls
gnutls lcs lui-format lui tracking shorten rx paren flyspell ispell
circe-compat slime arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline pp hyperspec
browse-url mingus libmpdee cl yasnippet highlight-indentation flymake
company elpy pyvenv elpy-refactor python ido grep compile files-x etags
xref project cus-edit wid-edit which-key evil-visual-mark-mode
evil-leader evil evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps evil-commands
evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search evil-ex
evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove rect
evil-digraphs evil-vars magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip
magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-process magit-popup magit-mode magit-git crm
magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit message idna rfc822 mml
mml-sec epg mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring format-spec advice server dash edmacro kmacro ivy delsel ffap
thingatpt dired use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode parse-time
quelpa url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util
time-date password-cache url-vars package-build mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr json map lisp-mnt finder-inf slime-autoloads package
epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cus-start cus-load mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 693013 55648)
 (symbols 48 56275 10)
 (miscs 40 348 608)
 (strings 32 151365 25490)
 (string-bytes 1 4390102)
 (vectors 16 89470)
 (vector-slots 8 1660398 19673)
 (floats 8 986 299)
 (intervals 56 7309 1443)
 (buffers 976 31)
 (heap 1024 58592 5277))