Subject: bug#24307: GNU Emacs 25.1.1 repeated system crash

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 17:38:53 +0300

> From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:01:56 +0200
> 
> GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of 2016-08-22
> Linux [...] 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt25-2+deb8u3 
> (2016-07-02) i686 GNU/Linux
> 
> Last days recent pretest caused two times a system freeze, restart required.
> Unfortunately  couldn't reproduce with Emacs -Q
> As this didn't happen last year --but sometimes the years before-- maybe 
> it's a valuable info though.
> A crash happened after M-x edit-abbrevs RET, editing
> 
> "gna"           0    "(< 0 (abs"
> "wgna"           0    "(when (< 0 (abs"

Can you provide more details about these system freezes?  Some
questions:

 . What exactly freezes?  Can you start a new application, or move the
   mouse pointer, or ping the system from the net?

 . What do you see in /var/log/messages around the time of these
   freezes?

 . When it freezes, do you see the disk I/O indicator lit, indicating
   some disk I/O, or is the indicator off?

 . Any other relevant details.

Thanks.