Subject: Re: bug#24298: Acknowledgement (25.1; problem with restoring desktop)

From: John Covici <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 13:46:15 -0500

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:47:24 -0500,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 11:02:47 -0500
> > From: John Covici <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > 
> > > The desktop file you sent doesn't have Makefile, it has default.xml
> > > and brltty-9999.ebuild.  The buffer that's expected to be the current
> > > one after restoring is the first one in the list, and in your case
> > > it's default.xml.  So if that buffer becomes the current after
> > > restoring desktop, I don't see a problem in the restore stage, and
> > > don't understand how that commit could have changed this.
> > > 
> > > What do you see in the list returned by buffer-list, before you end a
> > > session?  The buffers are recorded in the desktop file in the order
> > > they appear in that list, and in my case, this is the current buffer
> > > when I invoke desktop-save.
> > 
> > I am sorry, it wasn't a makefile, you are correct.  OK, let me try
> > again.  Before the restore commit, when I enter emacs, the current
> > buffer is brltty-9999.ebuild but after the commit the current buffer
> > is the default.xml.    Before the restore commit, if I do c-x-b the
> > default buffer it wants to switch to is default.xml.  After the
> > restore commit, when the current buffer is default.xml when it should
> > be brltty-9999.ebuild the default buffer to switch to is the scratch
> > buffer.  In a desktop with many buffers, after the restore commit, it
> > seems to pick a random buffer to be the current buffer rather than the
> > one it should be.
> > 
> > I hope this is clear now.
> 
> It is, thanks.  But please also answer my question above about the
> order of buffers in the list returned by buffer-list, before you quite
> Emacs which writes the desktop file.

Here is what I have before the restore commit.

CRM Buffer                 Size Mode             File
.   brltty-9999.ebuild     4916 Text
/usr/local/portage/app-accessibility/brltty/brltty-9999.ebuild
    default.xml           48920 nXML Invalid
    /etc/freeswitch/conf/dialplan/default.xml
     %* *Completions*           275 Completion List
	    *scratch*               145 Lisp Interaction
	     %* *Messages*              578 Messages

And here is what I get after the commit
CRM Buffer                 Size Mode             File
    *scratch*               145 Lisp Interaction
     %* *Messages*              206 Messages
	    brltty-9999.ebuild     4916 Text
	    /usr/local/portage/app-accessibility/brltty/brltty-9999.ebuild
	    .   default.xml           48920 nXML Invalid
	    /etc/freeswitch/conf/dialplan/default.xml

and if I quit emacs and use emacs before the commit, I get the first
one.

Hope this helps.

-- 
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         [email-masked]