Subject: 24.5; RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK has punctuation syntax in Elisp, but acts like a symbol constituent

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:32:36 -0700 (PDT)

In an Emacs-Lisp buffer or in *scratch*, use `C-u C-x =3D' on this
character: =A1=AF (RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK).  It tells you that its
syntax is punctuation.

But (setq foo (intern "ab=A1=AFcd=A1=AFef")) shows that it acts like a
symbol-constituent character.

And the Elisp manual, node Syntax Class Table says this, about syntax
class punctuation:

  Some programming language modes, such as Emacs Lisp mode, have no
  characters in this class since the few characters that are not symbol
  or word constituents all have other uses.

What gives?  Is there a doc bug?  Should the syntax class be
symbol-constituent?  Are things as they should be (in which case, can
the doc be clarified, as this seems confusing)?

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=3D/c/usr --host=3Di686-pc-mingw32'