Subject: Re: bug#24292: # Local Variables: not working

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 17:00:00 +0000

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 03:34:33PM +0530, nullx002 wrote:

> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> My init.el file has following line:

> (gobal-linum-mode t)

> Now I want to disable linum-mode for few .org files so i used following:

> # Local Variables:
> # eval: (linum-mode 0)
> # End:

> in header above everything else.
            ^^^^^

Assuming nothing's got lost in the translation, that could be your
problem.  the Local Variables: section has to come at the BOTTOM of the
file, after other things.

It will work as long as it's within the last (I think) 5000 character of
the file.  So if you've got some fairly short files, a LV section at the
top of that file will work.  If your file is bigger than ~5000 bytes
(and I think .org files tend to be big) it won't work.

So move those LV sections to the ends of their files, and see if that
helps.

> but it is not working for me for org files, it works for other files
> like .txt .md .js etc. but not for .org files

> I tired with empty .org file and result is same.

> C-h v linum-mode for .txt file gives:

> Its value is nil
> Local in buffer test.txt; global value is the same.

> while,

> C-h v linum-mode for .org file gives:

> Its value is t
> Local in buffer capture-tasks.org; global value is nil

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
>  of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-36, modified by Debian
> Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
> System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).