Subject: Re: bug#24292: # Local Variables: not working

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:21:22 +0000

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 02:26:15PM +0530, nullx002 wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> initially i added LV using commands and that automatically added it at
> the bottom of the buffer/file and it didn't work in that case for both
> large and small files. but when i added those line manually by hand as
> you suggested it worked. (for both large and small files)

Glad to hear it!

> however there is a problem as i have to add extra top-level heading just
> above the LV block as to avoid it messing up with the org-drill and
> org-drill-table-generate i use to create :drill: for those org
> files. it works well for me now with :noexport: tag for that last
> heading for LV block. is there a better way to achieve what i am trying
> to do without adding a dummy header for LV block at the end of the file?

This is where your removal of the bug list address from the Cc: counts
against you.  I actually know nothing about org mode, but other people
reading the list actually know quite a lot.

However, I looked into the org mode manual, and see you can write
comments by starting a line with "#".  The "Local Variables:" line is
quite happy being after a comment marker, so you could write your LV
list entirely in org mode comments:

    # Local Variables:
    # ...
    # End:

> thanks for you quick reply it was very helpful.

Just one or two tips on getting quick help in the future.  Your post
would have been more appropriate on [email-masked], since it was
not clear that it was an actual Emacs bug.  (As it turned out, it
wasn't.)  Please, as already mentioned, leave in the list address when
you reply.  That way, more people get to see the problem, and there is a
complete record of the thread in the archives.

Anyways, I hope you can now get things sorted out, and continue being a
happy Emacs user.  :-)

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).