Subject: bug#24291: closed (Re: display-time-world seems to ignore zoneinfo-style-world-list when display-time-mode is t)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 16:09:03 +0000

Your bug report

#24291: 25.1; display-time-world seems to ignore zoneinfo-style-world-list when display-time-mode is t

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24291: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24291
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: display-time-world seems to ignore zoneinfo-style-world-list when display-time-mode is t
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:08:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

OK, I installed it on emacs-26 and am closing the bug.

Subject: 25.1; display-time-world seems to ignore zoneinfo-style-world-list when display-time-mode is t
From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 08:50:53 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The command display-time-world seems to be ignoring the
zoneinfo-style-world-list variable; instead, the time for the default
list of cities is displayed.

Setting zoneinfo-style-world-list in `emacs -Q' works as expected, so I
bisected my init file and it seems that the problem is "caused" by
setting display-time-mode to show the clock in the mode line.

This recipe shows the problem from `emacs -Q'

0. emacs -Q

1. Enter the following elisp in *scratch*:

  (custom-set-variables
   '(display-time-mode t)
   '(zoneinfo-style-world-list
     (quote
      (("Etc/UTC" "Universal Time")
       ("AST4ADT" "Atlantic Time")
       ("EST5EDT" "Eastern Time")
       ("Europe/London" "London")
       ("Asia/Tokyo" "Tokyo")))))

2. `C-x C-e' (eval-last-sexp) to run it

3. `M-x display-time-world'

Observed result:

  Seattle   Tuesday 23 August 04:22 PDT
  New York  Tuesday 23 August 07:22 EDT
  London    Tuesday 23 August 12:22 BST
  Paris     Tuesday 23 August 13:22 CEST
  Bangalore Tuesday 23 August 16:52 IST
  Tokyo     Tuesday 23 August 20:22 JST

Expected result:

  Universal Time Tuesday 23 August 11:24 UTC
  Atlantic Time  Tuesday 23 August 08:24 ADT
  Eastern Time   Tuesday 23 August 07:24 EDT
  London         Tuesday 23 August 12:24 BST
  Tokyo          Tuesday 23 August 20:24 JST

If the recipe above is modified to remove the line that sets
display-time-mode, the output is as expected.

I'm more than slightly confused by what I'm observing here. I don't
believe it was more than a couple of months ago that I set z-s-w-l for
the first time. It worked perfectly then even though I always have d-t-m
on (because the mode line clock is the one I use to know what time it is
during the day). But now I'm seeing the reported problem in versions of
the Emacs 25 pre-release going back for months, and indeed, in Emacs
24.5.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-07-24 built on moondust
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Fedora release 23 (Twenty Three)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/nlj/local/ --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g3 -gdwarf-4''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail gnus-html browse-url url-cache
mm-url smiley gnus-cite gnus-bcklg gnus-async qp mail-extr gnus-ml
disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 server pinentry epa-file epa derived
network-stream nsm starttls nnfolder bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua nnnil gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache
org-clock tabify vc-git diff-mode python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize json map sh-script smie executable
latexenc preview prv-emacs font-latex sage-latex tex-buf latex tex-style
tex dbus xml tex-mode shell flyspell ispell sage sage-load rx
emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-browser sort
emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd
emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source url-vars emms-streams emms-tag-editor emms-mark
emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info
later-do emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat calfw-org calfw cl-seq holidays hol-loaddefs
cl pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw eieio eieio-core cl-macs mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile cus-edit pdf-view bookmark pp
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util org-contacts org-capture gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr org-eldoc
org-w3m org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-habit org-gnus gnus-util
org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode dired org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-element avl-tree org-agenda org advice org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-latex ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func bbdb-anniv diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site timezone
bbdb-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site info package epg-config seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv edmacro kmacro recentf
tree-widget wid-edit easymenu time wheatgrass-theme paren savehist
saveplace elec-pair battery desktop frameset cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
delsel cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 965862 52373)
 (symbols 48 105262 0)
 (miscs 40 19647 6806)
 (strings 32 175240 17487)
 (string-bytes 1 6112277)
 (vectors 16 82378)
 (vector-slots 8 2081333 128971)
 (floats 8 732 932)
 (intervals 56 73267 3321)
 (buffers 976 229)
 (heap 1024 114049 23712))