Subject: bug#24253: 24.5; nXML+Flyspell with this small file appears to result in Emacs hanging

From: Don Morrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:23:37 -0400

From: Don Morrison <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.5; nXML+Flyspell with this small file appears to result in
Emacs hanging
--text follows this line--

(For creating this recipe I also moved my personal spelling dictionary
out of the way, in case its contents might have been implicated, as it
appears that even with -Q that dictionary is still used. Also note that
I'm reporting this in a different instance of Emacs since I can't use
the one that has tickled the bug, as it's hung :-)

Get a copy http://ringing.org/nxml-flyspell-bug.xml (also attached to this
message).

Then emacs -Q nxml-flyspell-bug.xml

Then, in Emacs

M-x flyspell-mode
C-n
C-n
C-k
C-n
C-n
C-y

At this point Emacs is hung.

(I've reproduced this on two different machines, albeit both running the
same version of Emacs on the same version of Ubuntu.)

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: nXML

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
nxml-flyspell-bug.xml has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Using vacuous schema

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns easymenu nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap
nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 84738 7813)
 (symbols 48 19496 0)
 (miscs 40 45 146)
 (strings 32 13742 4331)
 (string-bytes 1 364131)
 (vectors 16 10968)
 (vector-slots 8 404789 5854)
 (floats 8 83 154)
 (intervals 56 241 0)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 25526 1027))