Subject: Re: bug#24239: 25.1; Potential regression: Multibyte text in HTTP request

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 04:32:24 +0300

On 08/16/2016 06:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I guess you are talking about NEWS, not ChangeLog.

Yup. That's what I gathered Damien to mean, considering we do mention 
this change in the generated ChangeLog.

> It's tru we don't
> describe bug-fixes in NEWS, but we do describe incompatible changes.
> So I think it would be good to document this change there.  Could you
> suggest some simple description of that?

Something like "url-request-data is not allowed to be bound to a 
multibyte value; if your request body is multibyte (which is the usual 
case, by the way), convert it with encode-coding-string".

Hmm... by the way, we could also mention that json-encode now keeps most 
multibyte characters as-is. Which is the reason we had to scramble to 
fix this problem with the URL package.

> (I don't understand the
> details of the use case well enough to do that myself -- how is the
> value of url-request-data related to the change we made in
> url-http-create-request?)

The related change is for the previous bug report (23750), and the 
commit a98aa02a that added the "Multibyte text in HTTP request" error.