Subject: bug#24231: 25.1.1: sudo displays password

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:22:49 +0200

Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> Screenshot and complete output of M-x report-emacs-bug RET sent off-list.

Arrived :-)

Your problem is your German locale. The screenshot shows the following
password prompt:

[sudo] Passwort für user: xyz-and-blah

And you have the locale setting LANGUAGE=de_DE. The word "Passwort" is
not a problem, it is part of password-word-equivalents. But the German
word "für" does not match comint-password-prompt-regexp, you'll see (at
the end of this regexp) that it only accepts the non-localized "for".

You can test yourself in the shell buffer, for example with one of

detlef:~> env LANGUAGE=en_US sudo -i

detlef:~> env SUDO_PROMPT="password: " sudo -i

detlef:~> sudo -p "password: " -i

All shall work as expected. Maybe one could try to add the localized
version of "for" in comint-password-prompt-regexp, but I have no idea
how to extract this from the system wide password prompt without trying
sudo.

Best regards, Michael.