Subject: bug#24220: "failed to unpack source code" on guix pull

From: Harry Prevor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 18:05:17 -0400

Hey all,

I'm running GuixSD on a Thinkpad X200. I typically run 'guix pull' 
almost every day without any troubles, but about two days ago I started 
getting this error every time I ran the command leaving me unable to 
update my system:

> Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.JNdnA7
> From 
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
>  ….tar.gz                                   1.4MiB/s 00:07 | 10.4MiB 
> transferred
> unpacking 
> '/gnu/store/q4zzpxpbbhwmwh4snisymlpf0p24ddk7-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
> guix pull: error: failed to unpack source code

What's odd about this, is the actual file 
/gnu/store/q4z...-guix-latest.tar.gz, appears to be a valid targz 
archive, and I'm able to unpack and repack that using tar manually just 
fine. 'realpath $(which tar)' returns 
'/gnu/store/ggmmcw327ny831gqd7zvi3hpl5fm23mn-tar-1.28/bin/tar', and I've 
done some basic tests which do confirm that binary seems to work. I'm 
not having any network problems otherwise.

What can I do to further debug / fix this?

P.S. I'm not subscribed to bug-guix, so please CC me in any responses to 
this thread!

Thanks,

-- 
Harry Prevor