Subject: bug#2421: 23.0.90; python-mode: Indent commands behavior

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:40:17 +0100

>     mr> I don't know whether `python-shift-left' and
 >     mr> `python-shift-right' are of any use without a prefix argument.
 >
 > They are, I often use them after adding or removing a statement in a
 > code.

I'm confused.  Why don't you use TAB in that case?

 >     mr> With a prefix argument, they are simple wrappers for
 >     mr> `indent-rigidly'.
 >
 > Yes, this makes no sense.  It would be more logical if they indented by
 > (* python-indent count).

It might be even more logical to restrict ourselves to valid indentation
points only.  In any case we would need some feedback from `python-mode'
users for such a change.  The same goes for not deactivating the mark.

 >     mr> In any case, it might be better to use `use-region-p' instead of
 >     mr> `mark-active' to be more consistent with Emacs 23.
 >
 > But then the indent commands would work only if transient-mark-mode was
 > enabled, wouldn't they?

The commands should DTRT when `transient-mark-mode' is enabled because
it's the default with Emacs 23.  That is, with `transient-mark-mode' on,
these commands should operate on the region only if the mark is active
and should respect `use-empty-active-region'.  I have no idea what TRT
is now when `transient-mark-mode' is off.  You appear reluctant to use
transient mark mode, I suppose ...

martin