Subject: du inconsistent with its documentation

From: John Harper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:41:11 +1200 (NZST)

On an x86-64 Linux system with SHELL=/bin/bash , du objects to the option
--max-depth=1 but du --help suggests it is allowed.

Evidence (with 5 empty spaces removed from the beginning of each line that 
had them, so this email would not break lines unnecessarily):

miro[~]$ printenv | grep SHELL
SHELL=/bin/bash
miro[~]$ du --maxdepth=1
du: unrecognized option '--maxdepth=1'
Try `du --help' for more information.
miro[~]$ du --help | grep -A 1 depth
  --max-depth=N     print the total for a directory (or file, with --all)
                      only if it is N or fewer levels below the command
                      line argument;  --max-depth=0 is the same as
                      --summarize

-- John Harper, School of Mathematics and Statistics
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
e-mail [email-masked] phone (+64)(4)463 5276 fax (+64)(4)463 5045