Subject: Re: 25.1.50; Re-display issue (lag) when opening certain files [sml-mode]

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:30:23 +0000

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'd prefer not to install anything.

Hi Eli,

To avoid people's personal emacs config from polluting, I change the
user-emacs-directory and package-user-dir in the macro. Things get
installed to the /tmp/ dir by default on unix systems.

> I do have the Git repo for ELPA,
> though.  So could you please modify your recipe so that the required
> packages are loaded from the Git repo (by modifying load-path), and
> then the rest is done as needed?
>

Please let me know if this is still necessary to help debug this problem.
The current macro definition is very generic and works for GNU Elpa + other
Elpas out there. It does not pollute your personal area as I mentioned
above. After done with this, just rm -rf (concat temporary-file-directory
(getenv "USER") "/" ".emacs.d-debug/")

> Better yet, just post the file that causes the trouble, there's no
> need for everybody to recreate it, right?
>

I wanted the mininum working example to be all inclusive. If I do not do
so, then I need to rely on manual steps like saving the file, opening the
exact same file using M-x find-file (and all that). Isn't my method more
reliable? All you do is eval the whole thing and check the profiler report.

Here is the file that my example creates:

(* ''a is a special equality type (it is not the same as the generic 'a
type. It *)
(* means that both arguments can be of any type as long as you can use the
*)
(* equality operation between them. So both can be int, both can be
strings, *)
(* both can be int tuples. TH*)
-- 

Kaushal Modi