Subject: Re: bug#24193: 25.1; `window-min-size' fails for horizontal width when margins >= body text

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 12:15:00 +0200

> The bug is not necessarily with `window-min-size' rather with the on-
 > flow effect it has on C-x 3 `split-window-right', which needs to work
 > reliably for users without resorting to writing elisp.

I share your opinion that "C-x 3 needs to work reliably for users
without resorting to writing elisp".

 > This is already having real-life negative effects. See
 > https://github.com/rnkn/olivetti/issues/12

There you say:

    Someone seems to have made a very poor design
    decision in changing the way window-min-size works.

Now with emacs -Q evaluate the following forms

(defun split-window-right-ignore (&optional size)
   (interactive)
   (split-window-right (or size (/ (window-total-width) 2))))

(define-key ctl-x-map "3" 'split-window-right-ignore)

(set-window-margins nil 20 20)

do C-x 3 and look at the resulting windows.  That's what I would call a
"poor design decision".

martin