Subject: bug#24186: setlocale can't be localised

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 22:33:14 +0200

Greets :)

Firstly, just to make sure that we are getting things right in 2.2 (and
if not we need to know), would you mind testing with the latest 2.1.x
release?

Also, do you have a concrete program whose behavior you expect to be
different?  I appreciate the call-with-locale example but I'm not sure
what is going wrong so having an example invocation would be useful.

On Mon 08 Aug 2016 18:32, Zefram <[email-masked]> writes:

> The setlocale *write* operation also affects port encoding (actually
> the default port encoding fluid and the encoding of currently-selected
> ports), and that seems to be an intentional change, but it also breaks
> the above code.

I believe that the intention (for better or for worse) is that calling
`setlocale' with 2 arguments changes the "default port encoding".  Like,
the next port you open will have the encoding specified by the
`setlocale', if you don't change it explicitly later.  But I don't think
it should change the encoding of already-open ports, should it?

Andy