Subject: 25.0.94; dired-copy-filename-as-kill does not quote or properly separate file names

From: Gereon Kaiping <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:08:40 +0200

Enhancement Request:

> Start emacs
> Find a directory containing more than one file with space in the file
> name, opening that directory in dired
> Mark more than one file, eg. using `m`
> Run 'dired-copy-filename-as-kill for example by pressing `w`
> Notice that there is no difference between the space separating file
> names and the spaces in file names

$ touch "this file" "that file"
$ emacs -Q
C-x C-f RET m m w

gives

that file this file

but should give something like

"that file" "this file"

or

that file
this file

to be much more useful. The former looks cleanest, because then the
content can be yanked as elisp list, but would of course require that
not only filenames are quoted, but that also " be quoted inside file
names.

--
Gereon