Subject: bug#24179: 25.1; scroll-conservatively over SCROLL_LIMIT may put point in the wrong place

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 19:58:38 +0300

> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 10:35:37 -0600
> 
> Unfortunately it seems like there's a brief delay (that is only
> noticeable in magit-blame) now where the point is temporarily in the
> wrong place (as before), before quickly moving to the correct position.

Not on my system, not after C-f at position 1350 anyway.

However, what you describe happens elsewhere in magit-blame's display.
E.g., I see it when I do "M-g c 1350 RET" as part of the recipe.  So
this is a separate issue.

In general, overlay strings with newlines are hard on the display
engine, especially when line-move-visual is on and under
scroll-conservatively.

> > Btw, magit-blame could be nicer to the display engine by placing a
> > 'cursor' property on the first character of each before-string it
> > creates to show the blamed commit.
> 
> Perhaps that would help with the above delay?

Could be.  It will also eliminate those annoying jumps of the cursor
when it needs to "step over" the lines that come from before-strings.