Subject: Re: bug#24164: 25.1.50; `global-linum-mode' with text scaling

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 17:37:15 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
>
> (global-linum-mode t)
>
> Increase text size several times: `C-x = = = = = ='.
>
> Decrease it several times: `C-x - - - - - -'.
>
> Each time you increase, the space for the line numbers, to the left of
> the fringe, is enlarged.  When you decrease, that space is not reduced.
> The margin should reflect the apparent size of the line numbers, not
> some previous, larger size

Confirmed.  However, this is the result of the following change:

commit b92307f6708f9abff0b2ac242fe4b668232a9153
Author: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Nov 17 22:23:59 2015 +0000

    linum-mode plays more nicely with other margin-setting extensions
    
    linum.el will only modify the left margin if it needs to, and will
    only reset the it back to 0 if it guesses that no-one has touched that
    margin in the meantime.
    
    As such, this is a more of a workaround than an actual fix, but fixes
    the problems described in bug#20674 regarding the interaction with
    modes such as darkroom-mode and olivetti-mode.
    
    A similar fix was commited to nlinum.el in ELPA.git's
    e7f5f549fbfb740b911fb7f33b42381ecece56d8
    
    * linum.el (linum-delete-overlays): Restore margins more
    criteriously.
    (linum-update-window): Set margins more criteriously.

>From the discussion in that bug report, it seems the consensus is that
there's no real way to fix this -- except not using linum.el.  By now
Emacs has native line number support, so the issue is moot-ish, and I'm
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no